Gerald R. Ford International Airport is a profitable airport, situated in Michigan, roughly 13 miles southeast of Grand Rapids, in Cascade Township. The airport managed by an independent authority and owned by the Kent County Board of Administration. Gerald R. Ford International Airport is located within 25 minutes of downtown Grand Rapids at the corner of 44th Street and Patterson Avenue, which is a very convenient location,
Kent County International Airport changed its name, in honor of, the 38thPresident of the United States, Gerald R. Ford, it renamed and became Gerald R. Ford International Airport in December 1999. The description of international for an airport is not associated with flight activity. The airport received this description when the U.S. Costumer and Border protection opened at the airport office in 1977.
The seven major passenger airlines are serving Gerald R. Ford International airport, with daily 140 nonstop scheduled flights, and also more than 30 major market destinations. Gerald R. Ford international airport handles nearly 10,000 travelers each day, and in 2019 over 3,58 million passengers go through the airport.
Delta Air Lines-800-221-1212
More than nine years ago, aviation firs came to Kent Country, when at the West Michigan Fairground at Comstock Park, a Wright biplane rolled across the grass. These aviation foundation beginnings in economic activity annually contribute over $3 billion and connect passengers more than three million. The first airport for Kent country took place on November 26, 1919, situated four miles from downtown Grand Rapids. During the '20s and 30's the first regularly scheduled airline service began between Grand Rapids and Detroit. Later in 1940, Grand Rapids become one of only six U.S. cities boasting air service north, south, east, and west.
By 1949 The airport location expanded and covered 120 acres and 89 houses.
During those years, a newly expanded runway, which was 15 feet wide and 5,700 feet long, was finished. When the U.S Customs Bureau office opened in the terminal on January 27, 1977, Kent country airport became Kent country international airport.
By the end of 1994, a new runway was added, and the airport had over 150 commercial passenger flights per day, with nonstop service to 13 cities. In 1999, in honor of the 38th president of the United States, the airport was renamed the Gerald R. Ford international airport. In the year 2000, the airport completed the new passenger terminal building.
By the end of 2018, for the first time in its history, the Gerald R. Ford international airport exceeded the three million passenger mar, serving 3,265,242 passengers.